Friday, January 29, 2010

A treasure found in the stacks

I had a couple of hours of "me" time the other day and decided I wanted to spend it with a hot drink and some time to just peruse the local Barnes and Noble. I decided to try to find a book I've been wanting to read. It's written by a bunch of different families, each with a child with DS, called "Gifts". The store didn't have it, so I asked to be directed to the "Special Needs" section. It was all of a 4-ft wide section, with nothing but books on Autism. There were literally two books that had anything to do with DS! So, I plopped down to flip through one of them and suddenly became aware of a person looking at books behind me. I suspected immediately from his short statue and chubby build that he had Down Syndrome. Then, as I listened to him, mumbling to himself about how GREAT this book was that he spotted, I got a glimpse of his profile and could tell for sure. I started to tear up. What are the chances????? I mean, really??!! So, I hung around and then followed him into the children's book section. I'm a terrible judge of age, (and probably even more so with someone who has slightly different physical characteristics), but if I were to guess, I'd say he looked early 20's. He appeared to be on his own, but there was a guy hanging out in the children's section not far from him, minding his own business, but not seeming to really be looking for a children's book, either. Maybe a brother? Either way, it was kind of a cool experience. The brother-guy giving the DS-guy plenty of space and the DS guy completely engrossed in some Secret Spy book. I know that he was looking at a Spy book because he would speak out loud, "Wow!!! Look at this Secret Spy book. This is SO cool. Wow- these guys are amazing! One book, I can get one book. Hmmm, I REALLY love this book!" Honestly, it was adorable.

And so there I was, in the midst of stacks of books at Barnes and Noble trying hard not to cry over the coincidence of it all. I lurked amongst the children's books for awhile, until I realized that this guy's book choosing quest could take quite some time and I wasn't feeling bold enough to go up to brother-guy or DS-guy and say anything. I mean, what am I going to say??? ("Spys, huh? Sounds good! Can I look too?") So, I ended my personal spying game and decided to head out. But, I'm still in amazement. I haven't seen a single person with DS since we found out this news, but as soon as I sit down to look at the Special Needs book section, there is someone standing directly behind me. I was honestly charmed by the whole scene.

Tomorrow is my photoshoot for "I'm Down With You" and I'm so excited. Excited that I'll get to meet people who have been in my shoes, and excited that I'll meet people who have something in common with my Peanut. ...And I won't have to think up some lame interest in Spy books to strike up a conversation with them. I have no idea what exactly to expect, but I'll keep you all posted!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen, no coincidences here. "The Man Upstairs" is hearing those prayers. What a sweet, personal gift for you. To say I am praying for you can sound trite, but I really am, and my prayers are based on what you are so honestly sharing through this blog. Thank you so much for sharing this journey with us.

Jennifer Dickenson

Shan said...

Jen, isn't it amazing how when we least expect it, God gives us just what we need. I too am praying for you, and you can always count on me if you need someone to talk to. As far as praying, begging and/or pleading, the reality is that God is right there waiting to hear from you, whether it is with joy, or with frustration, or even anger, He wants to hear your voice and He wants to be there to comfort you, and He wants you to let Him. The cool thing is, He already knows that you are going to be a great mom, He already knows how HE is going to provide for your family, and He already knows the struggles you are going thru, and will go thru, and it's all in His hands! Isn't it awesome that when you really think about it, you don't have to worry about anything other than your relationship with Him, because just as you love to give great gifts to Christian, and Peanut when he is born, your Father in heaven wants to give you soooo much more!!! Enjoy the ride my sister, worry steals your joy, put the fears aside and hold on to your Heavenly Father who wants to bless you abundantly!

Shan