Friday, January 15, 2010

Sleep Training...AKA Mommy in Training

I have been forced back into sleep training this week. When I originally did sleep training with Christian at 4 months old, it was a whole different ballgame. ...And I could drink wine. Now, I've got cunning toddler escape tactics coming at me left and right. After watching a good handful of SuperNanny back-to-bed tactics, I thought I could do it. The technique calls for no talking after the first time you put them back in bed. Well, to my son, this seems to be an enormously enjoyable, even laughable, game. The laughing gets me- it apparently is my "button" and Christian knows just how to push it. Damn you, SuperNanny. I feel like I'm groping in the dark for some answer that doesn't come. I am an avid parenting book reader, but what I've realized is that they don't always SAY that much. So, I'm sure I'm doing it All wrong, but it might not be completely failing because although Christian didn't actually ever nap today, I only had to put him back in bed about 20 times- down from the 40 times it was on Wednesday. Tonight, I only had to put him back about 12 times or so. So, I guess it's moving in the right direction, but I feel too wrung out to appreciate it yet. As my pregnancy progresses, I'm feeling more pressure to lock in some of these toddler transitions with Christian, because once I have a baby in my arms it is going to be a lot harder to discipline him than it is now. (This became abundantly clear as I was practically wrestling Christian out to the car after a brief day care visit, while balancing a painted & glittered pinecone, my purse and him. If I can't manage a pinecone and my toddler, how am I going to manage a BABY and my toddler! Yikes!)

A few days ago, I came across a You Tube video called "I'm Down with You," posted by a new online friend I've made in the DS community. I was really touched by the footage. Check it out:



Then today, I got an email from the executive director of the Down Syndrome Association of Los Angeles (totally unrelated to the online friend), asking if I would be interested in participating in a coffee table book project called "I'm Down With You". (!!!!) The photographer is looking for expecting Mothers with a diagnosis of Down Syndrome for their unborn child. (!!!!) I think it would be a great experience, and maybe I'll even finally meet some parents (with children who have DS) in person. So, I said yes and have a time slot to be photographed on Jan 3oth. I'm really excited to be a part of something that is shedding such a positive light on DS, and that it will be something I can share with my boys when they're older.

No comments: